Tuesday, February 28, 2006
I use a pseudo-crumpler as my school bag now..
its pretty neat.. alternating light and dark green stripes...
with a very proud "Santa Barbara, Polo and Racquet Club" emblem on the flap and strap..
My friends tell me its nice.
'cept for the emblem.. in their own words "I would unstitch them so that I won't be labelled as carrying a fake."
Truth to be said, I would have thought and done so myself in the past..
when I thought that "clothes maketh a man"
when I would fear that carrying a 'fake-o' would create bad impresssions
when I would rather buy 'no brand' stuff than a 'fake-o'.
I used to place my self-worth and esteem on such material stuff and there used to be a time when a roxy t-shirt made me feel good about myself.I was so excited when I got my first t-shirt. a gift. it was as if that would improve who I was.
As if carrying a brand name would make me more attractive, more confident and determine my "position" in society, among my group of friends..
I felt the need to match up to my friends. To own the things they had.
And buying a 'no-brand' rather than a fake made me feel proud of myself. As if i had some sort of a different set of values as others.
The comments my friends made would have affected me badly in the past. made me feel somewhat ashamed. Perhaps it comes with age but I didn't care about what they said.It didn't bother me.In fact, I was surpised that I didn't care anymore.I no longer feel that need to have to meet the expectations of society that probably weren't there in the first place.It is a wonderful place to be in. :)
but then there would soon be working life and I would have to enter whole new arena of competitiveness.where material possessions are used to prove one's position in society.
Would I be able to stand the trial and pressure then? I guess only God knows..
Mummy's won 2 free tickets to Hong Kong!!! Whoo hoo!!!! :D
I'd be going in mid-May. Only $106 needs to be paid for airport taxes and I would have my lovely friends to bring me around. Can't wait!
Since Mummy flies there for business every week in May anyway, one ticket is up for grabs!Anyone would like to join me? :P
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
I use a pseudo-crumpler as my school bag now..
its pretty neat.. alternating light and dark green stripes...
with a very proud "Santa Barbara, Polo and Racquet Club" emblem on the flap and strap..
My friends tell me its nice.
'cept for the emblem.. in their own words "I would unstitch them so that I won't be labelled as carrying a fake."
Truth to be said, I would have thought and done so myself in the past..
when I thought that "clothes maketh a man"
when I would fear that carrying a 'fake-o' would create bad impresssions
when I would rather buy 'no brand' stuff than a 'fake-o'.
I used to place my self-worth and esteem on such material stuff and there used to be a time when a roxy t-shirt made me feel good about myself.I was so excited when I got my first t-shirt. a gift. it was as if that would improve who I was.
As if carrying a brand name would make me more attractive, more confident and determine my "position" in society, among my group of friends..
I felt the need to match up to my friends. To own the things they had.
And buying a 'no-brand' rather than a fake made me feel proud of myself. As if i had some sort of a different set of values as others.
The comments my friends made would have affected me badly in the past. made me feel somewhat ashamed. Perhaps it comes with age but I didn't care about what they said.It didn't bother me.In fact, I was surpised that I didn't care anymore.I no longer feel that need to have to meet the expectations of society that probably weren't there in the first place.It is a wonderful place to be in. :)
but then there would soon be working life and I would have to enter whole new arena of competitiveness.where material possessions are used to prove one's position in society.
Would I be able to stand the trial and pressure then? I guess only God knows..
Mummy's won 2 free tickets to Hong Kong!!! Whoo hoo!!!! :D
I'd be going in mid-May. Only $106 needs to be paid for airport taxes and I would have my lovely friends to bring me around. Can't wait!
Since Mummy flies there for business every week in May anyway, one ticket is up for grabs!Anyone would like to join me? :P